Meetings. How many of them can be changed, disregarded, and not even attended? Can one spend their time on more valuable work?
Automatically as I was writing this my only focus was on work type meetings, as those seem to be the least edifying and the most wasteful. Meetings can be beneficial:
- Casual meetings to build relationships
- Informational meetings to build up knowledge
- Crisis meetings to solve urgent and hard problems
- Regular meetings that have outcomes that are action oriented
- Impromptu meetings that spark ideas
So not all meetings are monsters that feed on time and energy. Just ones that are poorly run.